Hmmm, I don't think that Exodus was boring. To me it was more of a short story that needed to be read in its entirety before I could reflect on it (unlike some of the other books that we will read). In my opinion, Exodus contained a lot of material about the nature of God. The appearance of God in miracles was shown and I got to reflect on why were the miracles done and what were the Israelites supposed to learn from them. Yes, I did see the connection between some of the same ol problems that we have today and what was going on back then. SIDE NOTE: all of this is making me really want to learn more about the history of the wars in that area. If anyone knows a history buff let me know.
Let's see, the book of Exodus starts some 350 years after Jacob's family right? Anyhow, hundreds of thousands of Jacob's descendants are working as slaves for the Pharaoh. NOT what God had intended for them ya feel me. The Israelites had endured almost 4 centuries of oppression-almost twice as long as the history of America as a nation-before liberation. So far as we know (documented in the bible), during those years they received no direct communication from heaven. Moses had a HUGE challenge on his hands. He had to earn the trust of the slaves. That in and of itself presented a huge challenge. Then there was the doubt that Moses had about himself and his ability to be a leader for the Israelites. He resisted God, citing his unworthiness and lack of authority, his fear of the peoples mistrust, his speech difficulties and his flat out cowardice. Like Moses, do you ever wonder if your shortcomings disqualify you for what God wants you to do? I know I have. But we must all realize that if God picked you, apparently you are the right candidate, faults and all. Yeah, this is something that I am learning right now. Anyhow, Moses and his brother got the job done!
Let's see, the book of Exodus starts some 350 years after Jacob's family right? Anyhow, hundreds of thousands of Jacob's descendants are working as slaves for the Pharaoh. NOT what God had intended for them ya feel me. The Israelites had endured almost 4 centuries of oppression-almost twice as long as the history of America as a nation-before liberation. So far as we know (documented in the bible), during those years they received no direct communication from heaven. Moses had a HUGE challenge on his hands. He had to earn the trust of the slaves. That in and of itself presented a huge challenge. Then there was the doubt that Moses had about himself and his ability to be a leader for the Israelites. He resisted God, citing his unworthiness and lack of authority, his fear of the peoples mistrust, his speech difficulties and his flat out cowardice. Like Moses, do you ever wonder if your shortcomings disqualify you for what God wants you to do? I know I have. But we must all realize that if God picked you, apparently you are the right candidate, faults and all. Yeah, this is something that I am learning right now. Anyhow, Moses and his brother got the job done!
Oh, and I won't even get started on what happened in chapter 32. Did it remind you of Genesis 3? Think about it, in both instances, people favored by God strike out against his clear command. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!? Then they try to rationalize the fact that they had just disobeyed God! Oh wait, I do that.
The last 20 chapters or so consisted of laws and regulations. There were moral rules, such as the 10 commandments; civil and criminal rules, much like a criminal code; and religious and ceremonial rules. There are many memorable verses in this book. Of course the 10 commandments is what everyone remembers but I must say my favorite, hands down is Exodus, 14:13-14. It reads as follows (NIV):
Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."
Until next time, happy reading.
Now, on to Leviticus, the "law" book.
No comments:
Post a Comment