2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Deidre's Reflections on Day 1 & 2

Hello Friends!!

First let me say a huge thanks to James for keeping me honest.  Without his facebook posts/text messages, I'm not sure that I would have stayed true to getting started this week.  Yes, I was lacking motivation.  So, I did day 1 and 2 today and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed being in the word.

One of the first things I noticed is how the reading plan was structured for these first two days.  I'm not sure if this was intentional or coincidental but it made me think so I thought I would share it.  The old testament readings took us through the creation story and also the fall of man.  The New Testament scripture spoke of the birth of Jesus Christ.  The beginning and the end.  To me, it was poignant to read about the fall of man and the redemption of man in the first two days.  Especially on the weekend that many Americans celebrate the independence of America.  Questions...are we really free?  And though we appreciate the sacrifice of our military, etc....do you believe that total freedom came through Jesus Christ?   As an African-American, I can say that I realize that my freedom in today's society has nothing to do with July 4th....but I believe that God ordained people like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks to be the "soldiers" for our worldly freedom.  But I believe in my heart that I was spiritually freed on the day I was saved.  And praise God this is the kind of freedom that can't be taken away.

That freedom as allows me to make choices.  Much like Adam and Eve made in the Garden of Eden.  Choices to obey or not obey.  Choices to be influenced by outside sources.  Choices to commune with others instead of God.   I know that many of times we joke about Adam and Eve and how they "messed it up for the rest of us".  How many times do we use the freedom that we have through Christ to make decisions that "mess it up for ourselves".  By God's grace...he makes a way for us despite ourselves.

Obedience...Noah's obedience to God despite what others thought was an awesome testament to what we need to do today. First, God found Noah worthy.  Wow!!!  Of all the people he picked Noah.  And Noah was obedient.  We also see a great example of obedience in Joseph and Mary.  Are we listening for the instructions and are we ready to answer the call even when it isn't popular or what other people (friends) would do.

One other interesting thought I had while reading Genesis 1 is the fact that after each act of creation on each day it says...and there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.  When we think of a new day, we think of morning.  Clearly, God thought of the a day from sunset to sunset.  Which is where the Jewish observance of Shabbat (Sabbath) comes from.  Jewish people observe the Sabbath from sunset on Fridays to sunset on Saturdays. 

 So many thoughts and not enough time but I can't wait to share more...hear more...spend more time with Him.

Keep me in prayer as I continue on this journey.  The spirit is willing but sometimes the flesh is weak.  And TV sometimes seems like a better option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment