2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The First Week Of Readings - Genesis

First, let me give a round of applause to James for including me. Many, many times I have tried to do read the entire bible and I have failed. It seemed too exhausting of a task and I didn't have anyone to encourage me or help me when I was confused about the readings. I am still trying to find a convenient/consistent time. Hopefully, I will have one before I start back working in August.

Now, I must say that I am so glad that we have paired reading the old testament with the new. It offers a very good contrast. I like it. Also, even though Acts is my favorite book of the bible (spread of Christianity who wouldn't love it), Matthew and Genesis are a close second.

GENESIS
The message in this book is very complex, but in my opinion it is a book about relationships - God and nature; God and man and man and man. It shows that the one true God is sovereign over all that exists, whether good or evil. We were also introduced to the way in which God initiates and enters into covenants (which I now TOTALLY understand) with his chosen people and how he pledges his love and faithfulness to them. Genesis also tells the story of many beginnings - the beginning of the universe; the beginning of sin; and the MOST important, the beginning of God's work to restore a sinful humanity.

There are many notable scriptures from last week, some of them have already been mentioned in the blog so I won't rehash those. One of the chapters that left an imprint on me was chapter 8. This chapter was after the flood when God made a solemn promise - chapter 8:20 - 22 The Rainbow. The terms of the covenant reveal how deeply Adam's fall has affected creation. God's covenant recognizes certain sad adjustments to the original design of the world, taking for granted that humans will continue to kill (animals and each other). But here is the real love....God promises that regardless of what might happen, never again will he destroy life on such a massive scale. God vows to find another way to deal with the rebellion and violence of humanity (8:21). Isn't that amazing? Now, as humans we are prone to judging others even though we are sinners ourselves. And heaven forbid we feel as though someone has done us wrong or were "evil" towards us. I mean we all know as soon as we were born and took our first breath we were destined to a life of sin. Do we forgive? I know I am guilty of holding a grudge or being rude to someone who I have felt has done me wrong. God doesn't do that so who do we think we are to act in this manner. FOOD FOR THOUGHT: How do you react to those in your life who make mistakes and treat you wrongly?

The next noteworthy chapters are 18-19 "The Three Visitors and Sodom and Gomorrah Destroyed". Previously we have seen that God has made a plan to restore humanity (chapter 15), however, sometimes we must deviate from the plan and/or make revisions. Since God has made a covenant to not destroy all of humanity again he has agreed to spare the city of Sodom if Abraham can locate a mere 10 righteous people there. When Abraham cannot find 10, God's patience runs out. His tolerance for evil does have a limit. He steps in with a direct punishment - not to destroy the entire world, but to wipe out the 2 centers of evil. Now, years before Abraham had refused to accept a reward from the government of Sodom because he wanted nothing to do with such a place (chapter 14 . Yay Abraham. I wish I was that insightful). But his nephew Lot chose the path of prosperity and the easy and successful life. He was so entangled with life in Sodom that he hesitates to leave even up until the last moments!!! He is the classic example of a man, excessively tangled in a corrupt system, cannot bear to leave it behind (reminds me of myself). Too many times I have had to recite the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost to myself. I have often tried to take the easy way out or force a situation to my liking only to have everything end up a mess. Why do we constantly go against God's plan. Why can't we just be still and let him work through us instead of trying to do everything. Evil is evil. It is not hard to recognize but we still end up gravitating towards it. Why? FOOD FOR THOUGHT: When have you taken what appeared to be easy road. The road you know was not pleasing to God only to have it blow up in your face?

No comments:

Post a Comment