ADULTERY..most likely my biggest struggle.
So, some struggles with why people don't believe in the Bible is because they don't know what stories to take literally and figuratively. This one...tough to take literally, but when you place it against God's Love and the struggle he went through for us, it seems like it should be a walk in a park. Lets. see.
Verse 27-30 "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be throwin into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and through it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."
HMMMMM....I don't think I should have any body parts left after reading this. My biggest struggle (especially while I'm at my fitness gym) is lustfully looking at women. It's been on my mind a lot lately, and I am making a very intentional effort to not do so, but it's tough. I mean, real tough! It's to the point where I just might either have Malachi and chill at the park, and sleep when I don't have him...because I know that at some point throughout the day, whether it be via tv, going to the gym, or reading a magazine, some smokin' hot lady with only a sports bra and tight pants advertising some product (that of course will persuade you that their product will give you this body when indeed we all know better but still purchase the product...but that's neither here nor there) will appear in my sight and there it is...my eyes are causing me to sin, Big Time! What do I do in this situation? It's like trying to heal a sprained ankle while playing on it. But when i think about the Love of my Lord....My God.....take my eyes, limbs, and anything else that causing me to be away from you for it's not I that sin, but it's the sin that lives in me...(Rom. 7:15-22..my favorite passage by the way). I guess it's time to stop making excuses and man up. And girls, don't front! I know when y'all see some of these male athletes in the locker room with their shirts off, or Tyrese doing a Ralph Lauren ad..or Me doing just about anything, y'all go crazy, so step your game up too or get to gouging!
James, I was with you until that last sentence. No, but seriously, I feel you. I felt the same way when I read verses 27 - 30. I mean, I probably have sinned at least 30 times before noon so I know I shouldn't have any body parts left. All we can do is admit that we are sinners, pray for strength and listen and wait for God to guide us. I honestly think that most of the problems that we have (at least me) arise because I pray and admit that I am a sinner and when I ask God to guide me I don't just chill and wait for him to guide me. I want to do what I want to do, or as my mother says "I took the problem to the Lord but I didn't GIVE it to him".
ReplyDeleteIt is also said in Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Again, the problem is we are not patient. We do not allow for God to give us the strength, hence we end up right back on the circular path of sin and destruction.
Like my good friend Deidre just told me like 5 minutes ago "Be still, he will tell you what to do." Good looking out Dee-Dee.
So James, you need to GIVE it to the Lord and not just TAKE it to him. Maybe if we can both do this we will see some progress.
Psalms 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God;..."
Praise God and I am OUT.