2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Monday, July 19, 2010

What you meant for evil GOD intended for GOOD.

Praise God!!!

I don’t know about you but I have been really enjoying the readings, so much so that I went on ahead and finished Genesis. What is interesting is I remember having to read this book of the bible when I was in high school and let me tell you, I soooooooooooo did not “get it” back then. I didn’t understand what was really going on between Joseph and his brothers but life experience will definitely shed new light.

God mostly works behind the scenes in Joseph’s life. In fact, on the surface it often seems that Joseph gets the exact opposite of what he deserves. He explains a dream to his brothers and they throw him into a cistern. He was sold into slavery, and all of those years had not erased his hurt and anger. Yet, he loved his brothers and wanted to be reconciled. He resists a sexual advance and he lands in prison. He interprets a dream and saves a life and the person forgets him. Even through all of this Joseph never stops trusting in God. Now, while God MAYNOT prevent all hardships, God can REDEEM anything, even the worst hardships. This is illustrated in 42:41 - 56. After all that Joseph had gone through, when he is finally set free, the Pharaoh put Joseph in charge of the whole land of Egypt. He was his second in command. Now when the famine comes and he is reunited with his brothers, they are afraid of him. They all feel that Joseph will seek revenge. Fortunately for them, Joseph has no interest in revenge, for he sees his difficult years as part of God’s big picture (hmmm...why can't we all be like this?). Joseph admits to his brothers, “It was not you who sent me here, but God…” (45:8), “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done….” (50:20).

Joseph’s summation of his experience might apply to many human situations. Joseph’s trust that God can bring good out of bad intentions enabled him finally to forgive his brothers, leaving judgment to God. Wait, let me say that one more time, LEAVING JUDGEMENT TO GOD!!!!!
Do you practice the statements/actions of Joseph? When God sends you a message, whether in a dream, literally or figuratively do you listen or do you question with why am I being punished? Uhm, I hate to be the one to say it but baby, it is NOT ABOUT YOU. I know that until recently I did the same thing, but now I HONESTLY realize that I was following my plan and not GOD’S plan. I realized that sometimes it is not about me it is about GOD. How many times have you been between a rock and a hard place and you didn’t know why or how you were going to get out and behold the Father lifted you up?

Have you struggled with the logic of forgiveness? Remember, God is the final judge of man not you.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome insight. I'm reading this from my phone now, but when I get to my computer, I'll answer of few of those questions and respond to some of the comments made. Before I go though, let me just say that acknowledging that its God's Plan and not just a random hardship of life is very very uplifting. Joseph is a beast, because he persevered through the same junk that we today claim to be too hard to defeat, money, sex and revenge. Well done Joseph (if he happens to be reading this while updating his Facebook page.)

    ReplyDelete